Earlier this week, on Monday, I presented a 1.5 hour webinar that discussed several issues I anticipate will be hot topics during the 2016 legislative session in the realm of labor and employment law. The webinar was free and available only to members of the Hawaii Employers Council. This was the fourth year in a row that I conducted this type of webinar before the start of the legislative session.
Although this is an election year, I expect to see lawmakers addressing several significant issues during session. Such issues will likely include the following:
- Paid Sick and Safe Leave
- Expansion of HFLL
- Wage and Hour Exemptions
- Expanded Rights for Medical Marijuana Users
- Increased WC and TDI Penalties
- NAICS Reporting Requirements
- PHC Premium Supplementation Fund
- ACA and Connector Issues
- Employment Discrimination (in light of the Adams decision)
- WC and IME’s
- Social Media Privacy
- Independent Contractors vs. Employees
Of course, these are just predictions about what we can expect to see during this legislative session. As anybody who has been through the legislative process surely knows, the only certainty about session is that it will be full of uncertainty.